Re: [News] [Linux] Number of American Linux Users Doubled in the Past Year, Says Game Developer

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:37:17 GMT
<12Cdi.7639$p8.924@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Installfest touts Linux's freedom
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Over the last year, the number of Linux users in the United States has
>> | doubled, said Arc Riley, a game developer. And when you listen to some
>> | of the members of the Ithaca Free Software Association, it's not hard to
>> | figure out why they're excited about a movement toward Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20070618
> 2FNEWS01%2F706180322%2F1002
>> http://tinyurl.com/2l6otx
>

> If America is moving towards Linux, then its unamerican to install
> or promote competing operating systems.

Pedant Points:

[1] I doubt the US Government gives a damn.  Specific
bureaus might be evaluating Linux; certainly NSA's
modifications (selinux) have been included long ere now.
Can't say regarding Canada, Mexico, or points south
(Brazil?  Chile?  Peru?).

[2] US != America.  (It's just as well.  Our Prez
is...well, let's just delicately say that he's not exactly
a mad genius.  Maybe half of a mad genius, and we're
debating over which half. :-) )

[3] Doubled of 0.5% still only yields 1.0% -- assuming
that 0.5% figure is measurable or correct.  Dual-boots
are an interesting case, leading to an interesting mess.

I wish there were a more elegant way of measuring this
elegant operating system. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
to fix your Windows problems?