Re: OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors

flyer wrote:

> In article <2135233.tDmvXUDI8C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> Well, my 'Reiser' is dying on me and I am lucky to even be able to log
>> in. Couldn't even boot into the command line just half an hour ago...
>> hard-drive made funny noises... I have nightly backups, but if I have to
>> rebuild this PC, then I could be off for a few days, or just post from
>> somewhere else. Anyway... just a quick note... not sure if I should even
>> carry on using this PC knowing the the problem will recur.
>>
>> Confused...
>>
>> Should I just ship (PC) or try to squeeze what's left now that it's
>> running again...?
>>
>> Damn.
>>
>> No hardware fault on this Dell for the past 4 years... until now.
>>

> I've handled severe HD problems with SpinRite.
>
> It's amazing. But only if the HD is physically intact.

It was a physical error. I'll just bury the old hard drive somewhere in my
house along with the rest. I had quite a few bad hard drives on my laptop,
which turned me into a backup paranoid (that's a good thing).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1510068k total,   769196k used,   740872k free,    56512k cached