Re: [Linux] New Interview with RMS

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 04:57:26 -0700, dapunka wrote:

> On 17 Jun, 06:32, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> HL Interviews Dr. Richard Stallman
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | RMS: I chose GNOME because it's the GNU desktop.  KDE is also a
>> | free desktop.  I have never used it, but now that it's free
>> | software, I have nothing against it.
>> |
>> | I am not familiar with Enlightenment or XFCE.
>> `----
>>
>> http://hardwarelogic.com/news/143/ARTICLE/1410/2007-05-28.html
>
> RMS on Firefox:
> "However, in regard to Firefox, I am sad to say that only the source
> code is free.  The Firefox binaries include a non-free module called
> Talkback, whose sources are not available, and they carry an EULA
> which is unacceptably restrictive.  So these binaries are not free
> software.  This is why the free distributions of GNU/Linux have their
> own binaries, with names such as Iceweasel and Burningdog, that are
> made from the free Firefox sources."
>
> I didn't know that.

I knew there was some dispute, but I didn't know the exact reason.

The interview is worth reading in full, too. RMS is often portayed as some
dirty hippie fanatic, but he comes across as someone quite different. He's
called a communist, too, but in fact he's in favour of capitalism, just
not what he calls 'extreme capitalism' which he sees as only furthering
the desire of the rich to get richer.

--
Kier