Re: [News] [] Skype for Linux Reaches Miletone, But It's Still Proprietary

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:04:20 +0200, Attila wrote:
[...]
> I tried Wengo2.1 and had great trouble getting it to work. I wasn't
> greatly impressed. My favourite sip client is Twinklephone. Sadly it's
> only available for linux at the moment. Sjphone isn't bad and supports
> linux, mac and windows. Ekiga is nice but the last I looked didn't
> support macs (yes, a lot of my friends use macs). If Skype has its way,
> none of this choice will exist.
> Cheers,
> Att

Why the doom and gloom?  Sure, skype is proprietary, they're out to make
a buck and more power to them.

Where do you get the idea that if skype dominates voip, which is a
hypothetical, this would lead to ....

what exactly are worried that it would lead to?  a voip monopoly?
google, too, is out to make a buck.  I don't worry that google will have
a monopoly because it seems unlikely.  However, even if every other
search engine died and google "owned" search, well, that'd be alot of
power concentrated but I'm not seeing the doomsday connection.

-Thufir