[News] [Linux] A Story of Vendor Lockin and Closed Systems Shows the Way to Linux

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] A Story of Vendor Lockin and Closed Systems Shows the Way to Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:56:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Garnering support for non-proprietary software such as Linux and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| Things are much easier for Linux converts today than they were years
| ago. Almost every major website now works in Firefox or another
| browser available for Linux. Data can easily be imported into
| compatible formats while the computer is still running Windows,
| as many open source programs have been ported to that platform as
| well. And the KDE desktop actually makes the computer useful. It
| does not prevent the user from doing what he wants, as I've found
| most other desktops to do (especially the Windows desktop).
| Although I have a licensed copy of the latest Windows Vista
| (Dell was not selling Inspiron laptops without Vista at the
| time I purchased mine), I run Linux.
`----

http://dotancohen.com/eng/support_linux_firefox.php

A New Adventure! Windows Mobile and Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been aware of the existence of the Linux operating system for a long
| time, but I'd always assumed that it would be too complicated for me to
| learn and was a bit too geeky. Recently, however, I began hearing about a
| version of Linux called Ubuntu that was supposed to be pretty easy to use.
| Flash forward a few weeks and not only have I found that it is relatively
| easy to use, but it's already replaced Windows Vista as my main operating
| system of choice for day to day use!
`----

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=27&title=a_new_adventure_windows_mobile_and_ubunt&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Related:

Should I buy a Windows or Linux PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to get a new PC, whilst if possible avoiding "lock in" to suppliers
| of hardware or software. I was thinking of a Linux system, but I have some
| DOS and Windows programs I'd like to retain, and I'm too short of time and
| brainpower to become technically involved.
|
| [...]
|
| Having got a Windows PC to run your existing software, you can then
| install your Linux distro of choice, such as Ubuntu
| (http://www.ubuntu.com/), for no extra charge. Although this will
| not include support, at least you will be in fairly well known
| territory.
`----

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/2006/12/should_i_buy_a_windows_or_linu.html

Social networking giants--the new lock in

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5020