Re: MICROSOFT'S A LINUX DISTRIBUTOR?

Roy Schestowitz came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment
ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> __/ [ dapunka ] on Monday 11 June 2007 21:52 \__
>
>> I'm not very current on the Microsoft/Novell/Xandros/GPLv3 thing so
>> I've been Googling around - and I found this at Groklaw:
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070518124020691
>> Basically it argues that Microsoft is a Linux distributor and so
>> subject to the GPL. Is this a "Gotcha   Microsoft"?  Or is it a "Nuh-
>> uh you ain't!"  And what precisely makes you believe that which you
>> believe,  other than a blind belief in your favorite OS?
>
> All this means is that Microsoft will get no access to current packages
> (GPLv3-licensed) if it plays the patent card. The idea of pushing all
Linux
> users to SUSE and then taxing them no longer makes sense. Have a look at
the
> Eben Moglen interviews in Linux.com (copies on GooTube).
>

>From the getgo on the MSFT/NVL deal, MSFT have orchestrated a FUD campaign
to get clients who swear by Linux to go the Novell route, by basically
telling them through deliberate leaks, press releases, etc, that they'll
use the patent card if and when the necessity arises. The community and
some of the smarter non-Linuxers have laughed in the face of Microsoft and
pretty much dared them to sue the Linux *community* into submission. You
don't kill a community project with patent FUD. You don't even have to be
in Soviet Russia to know that to even try will get your arse handed to you.
--
Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700
Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax: £600