Re: Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Rated 92/100 ("Superior")

On Jun 14, 2:19 pm, Robert <d...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rex Ballard wrote:
> > Ubuntu is a very good distribution indeed.
> > I've installed it on one of my desktop
> > machines, and I'm quite happy with it.
> >  Dell has decided to offer Ubuntu
> > on it's Dimension desktops and laptops.
> >  They have
> > also decided to offer their desktop and laptop
> > systems at WalMart.

> > If Dell were to put Ubuntu on a Dimension that was
> > displayed at all Wal-Marts, it would certainly
> > be a breakthrough for them.  Dell might have
> > the same problem Apple does (can't keep up with demand).
>
> unfortunatly, the models that walmart
> is selling are the ones pre loaded
> with Vista. they (walmart) are not offering
> the models with Windows XP or Ubuntu.
> i suspect that dell made this deal with
> walmart so it could thin out dells
> inventory of unsold windows Vista boxes.

This would be inconsistent with Dell's "just in time"
workflow business model.  Normally, Dell builds computers
as they are ordered.  Dell did want to open new channels,
and Wal-Mart has been selling custom-built PCs via their
web site.  This includes several Linux based PCs.

It's quite likely that Wal-Mart inventories of Dell computers are very
low.  If you wanted 25 new Dell PCs from Wal-Mart, you might have to
pick up 23 of them the following day.

> after all, there is evidence of "channel stuffing"
> when Vista was first released

The Channel stuffing was the pre-sales of licenses.  This isn't unique
to Vista.  Microsoft usually provides the financing to OEMs,
Retailers, and Businesses who purchase minimum commitments of the
newest flavor at a discounted rate.  When Windows XP was released,
Microsoft offered financing and discounts off a "base price" that was
almost triple the cost of Windows NT/Windows 2000 based support
contracts (remember, Windows 2000 was "included" for most corporate
customers who purchased NT 4.0 during the first year.

Most OEMs, including Dell, pre-purchased several million copies of
Vista, appearantly as many as 60 million units across all of them.
But several, including HP, Dell, Lennovo, Toshiba, and Sony took less
of a discount - in exchange for the ability to preinstall XP instead
of Vista on the new machines.  Remember, the DOJ court order mandated
that OEMs be able to offer previous versions of Windows if they wanted
to do so.

> & dell HAD to do something with the unsold inventory.

Since this does not fit with Dell's business model, I don't think that
was the case.  On the other hand, if Dell did want to introduce a
Linux based PC, they would need some way to get these new machines
onto the show-room floor.  If Vista continues to hit market
resistance, Wal-Mart might actually WANT Dell to put the Linux
machines on the display floor.  Customers who want to purchase the
Linux powered Dell could either take one from the store inventory,
which would be replaced the following day, or they have a sales-clerk
help them configure a custom machine which could then be ordered on-
line and shipped to them the following day.

This was Wal-Mart's previous Linux offering.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3504708

If Dell could offer Ubuntu, 64 bit processor, WSXGA graphics display,
and a full suite of applications - for 50-80% more profit than the
"Commodity" Vista Home, WXGA Graphics, and "Trial Version"
applications with "Option to Buy" for $160 (only if you are a student
in a middle school, high school, or accredited college), to $400
(professionals and home business users).

Keep in mind that Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium have all
sorts of restrictions.  Even Vista Business has restrictions.  Vista
Ultimate costs $300 for the UPGRADE!  And it has to be installed by
the End-User.

Could it be that Dell is preparing to offer "Dual Boot" or
"Virtualized" machines that feature BOTH Windows AND Linux on the same
machine?

I think the OEMs are already pushing for a "Vista Light" or continued
ability to offer XP Professional in conjunction with Linux.  Several
of them may be taking a hard-line stance as well.