[News] [OSS] Innovation Comes from Free Software Developers

Interview with Havoc Pennington

,----[ Quote ]
| I read a piece in which the author criticized the free software world
| for not being innovative enough; needless to say this angered me,
| so I decided to try and demonstrate that this is not the case.
|
| [...]
|
| What we're doing now is taking the knowledge and some of the code
| back from Mugshot to see how we can enhance GNOME and Linux. We're
| also pulling in some stuff we've learned from the One Laptop Per
| Child project. The set of changes we're thinking about for the
| Linux desktop we?re calling "online desktop".
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/interview_havoc_pennington

Another new interview:

Interview with Brian Aker [of MySQL]

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL's architect speaks out on the future of database storage
| engines, Amazon's Web services, the next generation of
| distributed revision control and the economics of creating
| open source software.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/061307-brian-aker-interview.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

A couple of days ago:

Bookings.com opts for open source MySQL database

,----[ Quote ]
| Europe's largest online hotel reservation site Booking.com has
| selected the MySQL open source database to process tens of
| thousands of online bookings a day.
|
| [...]
|
| "Because the MySQL database is based on open standards, building
| our system was very easy and fast, and integrated with very low
| expense. MySQL's open source structure offers us opportunities
| for growth and integration because data replication can be
| introduced and managed from an early stage."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/applications/databases/news/index.cfm?newsid=3429

Related:

Open source becoming more innovative?

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically, while traditional proprietary software companies will
| undoubtedly milk their monopoly rents for a long time (my alma
| mater, Novell, continues to pull in hundreds of millions of dollars
| each year in maintenance on licenses sold at the dawn of the IT
| industry), increasing piles of cash are going to the technology
| and business model innovators.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/open_source_bec.html

http://www.gridter.com/articles/software_cycle.html

Innovative Experiences

,----[ Quote ]
| When the book The Experience Economy first appeared (in 1999), it
| raised a lot of different questions. How are companies grappling
| with the notion of "open-source experiences"?
|
| Beth: You have to give up control to your customers. It is very scary
| - you don't know where it will go. When we were not innovative enough,
| it's because we didn't give up enough control.
|
| NASDAQ: The customer is designing your services, products and even
| platforms. The fear is that of missing the accidental innovation. The
| notion of, "Oh, it has applications somewhere else?" We are trying to
| nurture this mindset within the culture.
`----

http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/2006/12/day_2_1120_am_innovative_exper.php

Fedora Core 6: Innovations Continue

,----[ Quote ]