[News] [OSS] Op-ed: Open Source a Possible Route for Microsoft, FUD Attacks Backfire

What Microsoft Could Gain from OSS and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft continues to understand that open source does not
| mean they cannot generate a decent profit, I honestly wonder if
| they will eventually "get" that releasing MS Office code to the
| open source community is their only option. Since the whole
| threatening to sue thing will be met with the same fan base
| response, just like the RIAA, it is certainly not a wise
| decision. And if Microsoft thinks Open Office is a pain now, try
| suing people over it, then see how many people refuse to buy
| their products.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2575&Itemid=449
http://tinyurl.com/2m527c

Related:

Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft may claim otherwise, Vista, from both from a technical
| and business point of view, is proving to be a failure. Why not turn it
| over to people who have shown time after time that they can deliver
| the goods?

Microsoft Steps Up Open-Source Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm stunned that after taking a number of seemingly positive steps
| vis-a-vis its thinking and strategy around open source, Microsoft has
| decided to blow away any bridges it built in a matter of weeks," long
| time Microsoft pundit Mary Jo Foley opined.
|
| She noted that Microsoft's threat to sue had backfired, and pointed
| to a website that lists over 300 open-source supporters that are
| openly asking Microsoft to sue them over alleged patent infringement.
|
| Microsoft is now in a tough predicament. Either it must stick to its
| guns, or attempt to back off and sweep what could become a public
| relations disaster under the rug.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Steps_Up_OpenSource_Battle/1179859754

Microsoft: A law firm pretending to be an army pretending to be a software
company

,----[ Quote ]
| SCO failed, so now Microsoft has to do the heavy lifting itself to
| undermine open source software's legitimacy. Actually, Microsoft
| prefers to undermine Red Hat's legitimacy. Or OpenXchange's. Or
| your company's.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2463

The Microsoft Open Source Patent Gambit

,----[ Quote ]
| First, to reiterate, as a customer I am completely uninterested in
| buying something from a vendor, and then paying every other vendor
| in the space a license to their possible additional but unproved
| patents. I'm not even interested in licensing their PROVED patents.
| Patents are vendor to vendor discussions. To make sure the license
| wonks in Microsoft Legal and Corporate Affairs understand what I
| mean: As a customer, when I buy my Xerox copier, I do not intend
| to additionally license patents from HP, Canon, Epson, or ANY
| other copier manufacturer. I buy solutions from my vendors,
| and I expect value for money. I am uninterested in your
| protection shakedown. Move on. The bullying of customers stops now.
`----

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/05/the_microsoft_o.html

Free Advice for the Litigious...

,----[ Quote ]