Re: [News] [Linux] Apple Falls Behind Ubuntu Linux, More Switching Stories

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 June 2007 13:04 \__

>> The Problem of Staying Updated
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Specifically, he mentions how wonderful it is to be able to use a
>>| fully integrated package management system. He says:
>>|
>>| On the contrary, working on a Linux system has made the weaknesses
>>| of other operating systems more painful to deal with.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| In the end, however, I think these problems can be overcome without
>>| too much difficulty. I think package management is a great way to
>>| keep your system up to date and I would be very excited if Apple
>>| decided to implement it. Till then, there is always Version Tracker.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/1987/
>>
>> Ubuntu and the Unions
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Over the course of the last few weeks, I've installed a new operating
>>| system on my computer. I no longer use Microsoft Windows XP and
>>| instead now use Ubuntu Linux.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| In Linux, there are no viruses and in most cases (such as in Ubuntu
>>| Linux) there's no need for a firewall either. Your computers are
>>| completely secure, and you've saved your union $70.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| It's time for unions to save their members' money, to make their
>>| offices more efficient and secure, and to support the free and
>>| open source software movement. It's time for unions to switch over
>>| to Ubuntu Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.ericlee.info/2007/06/ubuntu_and_the_unions.html
>
> Long ago, I was making postings indicating the the government and
> not-for-profit sectors should be first[1] in adopting open-source.  There
> is no excuse for spending tax revenue or donation money on licences when
> they are simply not required.
>
> Note1: that was first /after/ the technical/home user and
> computing/scientific academic adopters, of course!

The Navy's CIO has rewritten the policy to make it a *requirement* to
evaluate Open Source solutions. It is a good start. It also extends to the
Marines, IIUC.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    514480k total,   486068k used,    28412k free,     6556k buffers