Re: [News] [Linux] Request for Dell to Provide Cheap Blank Boxes

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:58:17 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Why Dell should offer more than just Ubuntu
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| Dell can supply normal machines at exceptional value so I see no
>| reason why they can't extend their Ubuntu scheme to offering
>| completely blank computers. Bringing Linux to the mainstream
>| is a good idea but you need to think beyond that - enthusiasts
>| spend a lot money and we like making our own decisions. Give us
>| a blank box and we'll put whatever Linux we like on it. They
>| get a sale and I get a smile - everyone's a winner.
>`----
>
>http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_dell_should_offer_more_than_
>
>But Microsoft calls these 'naked PCs' and contends that it leads to Windows
>piracy (see below). It even opposes Linux preinstalls for the same reason.
>The nerve.

There are many vendors who will build you a PC with a blank hard drive
or with no hard drive at all (barebones).

I'm assuming that anyone who buys one of these, however, will be
viewed as a potential pirate by Microshaft. Aren't they just a lovely
company !