Re: video: Inner working of One Laptop per Child (OLPC) Mesh Networking

__/ [ Jim Hubbard ] on Tuesday 12 June 2007 00:39 \__

> "Dean G." <dguttadauro@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And it's also a reason (independence from central servers) for it to be
>>> opposed.
>>
>> It is only such a reason for people with dictatorial mindsets.

Exactly. This may actually be perceived as a disadvantage in countries that
OLPC targets because some of them favour censorship. Then again, laptops can
be configured to block sites, so it's just traffic monitoring that's the
'problem'.

>> Independence from central servers is not a disadvantage, it is an
>> advantage. Even if you cannot connect to the internet, you still
>> potentially have a local network.
>>
>> The reason people oppose it is because such networks can avoid
>> government inflicted censorship.
>
> But, isn't it a little self-restricting?
>
> Think about it....one user is attached to the internet.  Then one user
> attaches to him...then another adds to the cloud....then another...and
> another...and so on...
>
> At what point are so many people sucking off of the single connection that
> the internet essentially stops for all connected?  And, doesn't that screw
> the first person who is in a place to connect to the internet and is
> expecting somewhat decent speeds?
>
> Maybe I don't understand this mesh thing well.  If so, starighten me out.

I think it's self balancing (in terms of the load). Apart from the fact that
traffic should be encrypted, you also need to find routes that are not
overly congested. If you are in a highly populated area, there are many
routes you can choose from.

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
  1:20am  up  17:16,  7 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.45, 0.70