Re: [News] [Linux] Investors Realise That Linux Threatens Microsoft, Which Has Just Two Cash Cows

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Investors Realise That Linux Threatens Microsoft, Which Has Just Two Cash Cows
  • From: flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:19:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <1442385.Gb7948PXaQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> Microsoft faces major market shifts
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I was hoping for more from my shares of Microsoft Corp. Has the company
> | lost its spark?
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The majority of Microsoft's revenue and profit still comes from its
> | Windows operating system and Office productivity suite.
> |
> | Yet it must now deal with the trend toward software as a service,
> | in which software is delivered over the Internet and paid for
> | with licenses, subscriptions or advertising. Other challenges
> | are software piracy, regulatory scrutiny and competitors such
> | as Firefox and Linux.
> `----
>
> http://www.baltimoresun.com/technology/bal-bz.ym.leckey10jun10,0,510649.story?track=rss
>

> Related:
>
> To Microsoft: Hurry up, please, it's time
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But the bulk of Microsoft's revenue still comes from Windows and Office.
> | Now, with virtualization, and Linux and the Web as our virtual operating
> | systems, the importance of Windows is fast diminishing and the premier
> | desktop application suite, Office, will soon follow suit.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/009051.html
>

> Take Your PowerPoint And... [Shove It]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Free classified ads on Craigslist threaten newspapers. Open-source
> | software is gaining on Microsoft and Oracle. Now the convention
> | business faces its own Web-inspired competition: the
> | "unconference."
> `----
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_20/b4034080.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
>

> A big Microsoft step on uncertain terrain
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As for Vista, it faces strong competition from Apple Inc.'s
> | Macintosh computers and the free Linux operating system.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Microsoft's second-most-profitable product, Office, is also
> | under stress. Cheaper alternatives abound, from the free
> | OpenOffice software suite to new online office applications
> | that run over the Internet. But the toughest challenge to
> | Office may come from government agencies around the world,
> | including the state government of Massachusetts.
> `----
>
> http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/01/29/a_big_microsoft_step_on_uncertain_terrain/
> http://tinyurl.com/2lpb2j

If Microsoft weren't built on a creaky foundation riddled with gaping
cracks and holes, there would be some hope for them.

But every new layer of actual useful code *then* requires several
additional slug-like layers of patching, lock-in assurance, effective
hiding, and other evils, resulting in a monstrous mass of dead slow
comuting requiring a quantum box just to boot it up.

IIS has 1/3 the use of Apache, yet it accounts for *twice* the malware
spread throughout the world.

Windows, the loser OS with the dying inertia, an inertia built when there
was no Linux around to object.