[News] Laptop Shipments Up, But Not Because of Vista

  • Subject: [News] Laptop Shipments Up, But Not Because of Vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:04:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Taiwan Laptop Shipments Up 40 Pct. in 2Q

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Quanta Computer, a major Taiwanese maker, is expected to ship more
| than 2.8 million laptops this year, benefiting from increased orders
| for Apple Computer's MacBook Pro installed with Intel's new Santa
| Rosa platform.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070630/taiwan_computer_exports.html?.v=1

300 laptops, but no power

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have been browsing the internet and we are very happy", Juliet Onah,
| an excited primary six pupil, was quoted as saying.
|
| But she said powering the laptop remained difficult as the school had
| no electricity and the supply at home was irregular.
|
| [...]
|
| The OLPC was founded by Nicholas Negroponte, an American professor, to
| provide laptops to all pupils at $100 by 2008, as a way of ensuring the
| penetration of information and communication technology in developing
| countries.
`----

http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_2138892,00.html

That's where the OLPC unit will in due time have an advantage that other units
do not have. The article does not bother to mention this.