Re: [Rival] XBox 360 So Fundamentally Flawed That Repair Company Rejects It

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 30 June 2007 09:09 : \____

>> ____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 29 June 2007 22:53 : \____
>>
>>> Dear Mark,
>>>
>>> Ever notice how the trolls love to point out that Sony (Linux based)
>>> is losing to Nitendo, while neglecting to mention that Nitendo is also
>>> wiping Windows-based Xbox?  Or that Xbox continues to lose money for
>>> Microsoft?  Or that Microsoft really doesn't do very well in any
>>> venture where they face real innovation and real competition?  Like
>>> Search?  Like Games?  Like Supercomputing?  Like Zune?  Stock is flat,
>>> Vista's a dog, Linux and OSS are open sores on the side of the cash
>>> cows.  Better sell now!
>>
>> Haha. So true.
>>
>> ...I had to say /something/.
>>

> Hehe, yeah.  Nintendo are doing extremely well, I agree, although I
> still believe that their device is fundamentally different, in that the
> PS3 is a general entertainment centre, whereas the Nintendo is really
> just a more traditional games console.  It could be that Sony were a
> couple of years ahead of the game, but I still believe that the PS3 will
> be successful, although it seems that the price will need to fall.

It'll have fallen by Chrismas. Someone close to Sony spit it out in some recent
interview caught by the INQ.

> Still, I've no problem with Nintendo doing well at all, and as is often
> pointed out the Xbox is another Microsoft disaster; one has to be
> suspicious of the massive failure rates of Xbox, and the willingness of
> Microsoft to, rather than address the problems, attempt to cover them up
> at every opportunity.

As we found out yesterday, they are apparently willing to delete huge forum
threads as well. That's not just disgusting (if true). It should justify an
embargo, IMO.

> The most critical piece of all of this is that Linux and open-source is
> not about a PS3, nor about a desktop PC, nor a phone, nor a satnav, nor
> is it about media players nor hand-portable games consoles.  It's about
> freedom, access to source code, avoiding lock-in, it's about a new
> economic model in which robber barons are unable to force particular
> consumer behaviour.

Actually, it's very closed. Homebrew is separate from the firmware. No access
to the GPU either, e.g. for Linux.

> I do not believe that Microsoft will find a way out of their mess until
> they have a change of board and senior management, replacing them with
> people who are used to competing in commodity markets, rather than
> people who are used to exploiting a monopoly.  You need to take out the
> film company executives and replace them with oil-company, supermarket
> or consumer electronics executives.  Until that happens, Microsoft's
> decline is unavoidable.  Even with those changes made, the senior teams
> would then need to institute change in Microsoft from top to bottom -
> the first people to lose would be those who "laugh at customers" who've
> called for help with their failing Xboxes.

Aghhh! That was a painful set of articles to watch. I think the consumerist was
the original source. Maybe it was a bad apple in a big company, but the vanity
I tells ya... the vaaaanity.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
 12:20:01 up 13 days, 17:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.70, 0.95, 1.16