[News] Linux Kernel Running Ahead with Ext4

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Running Ahead with Ext4
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:34:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Kernel and filesystem talks at OLS day two

,----[ Quote ]
| Mathur asked why not XFS or an entirely new filesystem? Largely, she
| explained, because of the large existing Ext3 community. They would be able
| to maintain backward compatibility and upgrade from Ext3 to Ext4 without the
| lengthly backup/restore process generally required to change filesystems. The
| XFS codebase, she says, is larger than Ext3's. A smaller codebase would be
| better.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/115767

Related:

Only minor upgrades for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Included as well are early experimental components such as the EXT4
| file system, which is an evolution of the currently popular EXT3
| file system.
`----

http://www.star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2006/11/28/prodit/16095637&sec=prodit

First benchmarks of the ext4 file system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.inet.hr/first_benchmarks_of_the_ext4_file_system.html

http://www.kr.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.19-rc1/2.6.19-rc1-mm1/announce.txt