Re: [News] Are Universities Choosing Linux/Zimbra for E-mail?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Universities Embrace Open Source Email
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | More than 100 colleges and universities now run Zimbra. Eager adopters,
> | the company claims, include:
> |
> |     * Georgia Institute of Technology – United States
> |     * University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee – United States
> |     * La Sierra University – United States
> |     * Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute – Australia
> |     * Universiti Malaysia Perlis – Malaysia
> `----
>
> http://techiqmag.com/2007/06/25/universities-embrace-open-source-email/

I keep coming back to Zimbra for another look, I did download the server
side trial version once which did look good. There were a few things that
held me back.

The main one being that I wasn't entirely convinced of the marriage between
Zimbra server and Zimbra client.

The browser interface was well set out, I don't think it was Ajax'ed in the
version I tested, so it should be better now in terms of interactive use.

Support costs are simmilar to cognos. The thing is though that the promise
of Zimbra's integration of server and client is it's key.

Is Zimbra>Cognos or is Zimbra<Cognos, in description and capabilities it is
>Cognos but hard to say without a proper trial, so Zimbra people, could I
please have a 6 months full version free trial, and clients, well its only
fair, after all if this sort of thing is a success then in short order
everyone has their contacts/emails on it so are unlikely to move on, which
means you are guranteed an income from the support for quite some years,
unless you do something really horrible with a release some time.