Re: Vista NOT More Secure Than Linux

> The trolls seem rather confused (still), so here is _another_ new rebuttal and
> clarification (from Windows-oriented sources).
>
> On the face of it, Microsoft continues to seek some form of replacement for the
> insecure O/S that is no longer maintainbale. They have published a new paper:
>
> http://research.microsoft.com/research/pubs/view.aspx?0rc=p&type=Publication&id=1726

Say, I wonder if these Singularity guys were previously working for
Microsoft competitors, and Singularity is the "black hole" into which
Microsoft stuffed them to keep them out of the way.

Whaddaya think?

> Is Windows Vista Really More Secure Than Linux or OS X?
>
> http://www.itjungle.com/two/two062707-story02.html#858200243642724476

   ...and that is what led Eric Schultze, chief security architect for
   security software researcher and developer Shavlik Technologies to
   declare that Microsoft was being less than truthful about the nature
   of the problem. Despite its apparent risks, MS07-32 was not included
   in Jones analysis of Vista vulnerabilities, even though it was issued
   before the published date on Jones' report.

> Skeletons in Microsoft?s Patch Day closet
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This is the first time I?ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
> | fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins ? a controversial practice that
> | effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
> | keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Now how can you trust a Microsoft Changelog?  Yeesh.

   "You're not fooling exploit writers with silent fixes.  You're only
   fooling your customers," says Marc Maiffret, co-founder of eEye
   Digital Security.

That article includes a nice step-by-step comparison of what a cracker
does, versus what an IT does, with a Microsoft patch.

--
Tux rox!