[News] Presidential Candidates Usually Adopt Linux, Medicial Information Technologists Favour Open Source

  • Subject: [News] Presidential Candidates Usually Adopt Linux, Medicial Information Technologists Favour Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:54:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Most Presidential candidates use open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s curious that open source dominates among Democrats, with only Hillary
| Clinton crossing the aisle to run Windows. Four Republicans — Jim Gilmore,
| Rudy Giuliani, Ron Paul, and Mitt Romney – run Linux.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1162

Integrating Medical Information With Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Nonprofit organization Open Source Health Care Alliance (OSHCA) believes
| that open source software is the path to follow when it comes to
| integrating systems and sharing various medical-related information in the
| local healthcare industry.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/j5Id6pD2yceyfX/Integrating-Medical-Information-With-Open-Source.xhtml

Related:

Linux, Opera help fight HIV AIDS in Malawi

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera said that the Baobab team initially used a Windows-based OS
| and browser on the I-Opener, but found performance to be poor.
| Subsequently, they moved to a "Baobab Linux" implementation derived
| from Midori Linux, the lightweight distribution created by
| Transmeta -- another x86-compatible processor vendor -- during Linux
| founder Linus Torvalds's tenure there.

McKesson First to Offer Red Hat Enterprise Healthcare Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| As a leading provider of technology solutions to the healthcare
| industry, McKesson has been at the forefront of innovative
| technologies, deploying many of its advanced Horizon Clinicals
| applications on Linux running on Intel-based hardware. Hospitals
| with these deployments have already realized cost savings of up
| to 60% compared with traditional system deployments.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070226/20070226005175.html?.v=1

Palamida Supports the Development of Open Source Solutions for the Health
Information Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Palamida has announced that it has joined the Open Health Information
| Project (OHIP), a global collaboration between public and private
| institutions to develop open source software solutions for the
| health information community. Lead by Oregon State University's
| Open Source Lab (OSL), OHIP works to enable the successful adoption
| and use of open source software methodologies in the public sector.
`----

http://www.securitypark.co.uk/article.asp?articleid=26518&CategoryID=1

Medical site is on a mission to set records

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is set to announce a deal today with Google Inc. to
| offer physicians and medical groups a Web-based digital medical
| records system at no cost. The service will be funded by advertising.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/16/BUG9OOM1FJ1.DTL

The Next Round Of Microsoft Vs. Linux: Health Care

,----[ Quote ]
| Both camps are making waves in the industry, which is poised for
| dramatic IT growth
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat, the largest business Linux distributor, is teaming up
| with the health care sector's largest company, McKesson, an $88
| billion-a-year pharmaceutical and IT supplier. Red Hat will
| provide a core of Linux and JBoss software geared to run
| McKesson's clinical applications.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700935

Open Source Goes Live

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenVista, a private adaptation of the VA's open-source system,
| revised to run commercial hospital systems.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700936&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
http://tinyurl.com/2lwv8a

openEMR Successfully Completes IHE Connectathon Testing

,----[ Quote ]
| The Possibility Forge and Mandriva successfully completed the
| testing requirements for openEMR at the 2007 IHE Connectathon
| in North America.
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1172259040

Leading Healthcare Technology Provider Chooses Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Sage Software provides integrated electronic health records, electronic
| data interchange (EDI) applications and practice management systems to
| more than 20,000 ambulatory care practices throughout North America.
| These systems enable physicians and practice managers to better
| manage their practices and improve profitability.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070123/20070123005179.html?.v=1

Editor's Corner (on Open Source in Healthcare)

,----[ Quote ]
| Suggesting that a private healthcare provider switch from
| proprietary software to open source-based applications is one
| thing. But when an official affiliated with as august a body as
| the United Nations suggests that all member countries adopt open
| source for their healthcare applications, that's a much bigger deal.
`----

http://www.fiercehealthit.com/story/editor-s-corner/2006-10-09

Zen Engineering And CHILI GmbH Partner To Market Linux-Based Healthcare
Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and other Open Source technologies are used as a primary vehicle
| for delivering cost efficient enterprise solutions while strategic
| alliances with hardware and software manufacturers enable Zen
| Engineering Network to provide a comprehensive storefront of
| technology infrastructure and services.
|
| In 2004, Zen Engineering Network launched a "Linux for Healthcare"
| initiative to address the demand for low-cost healthcare information
| systems. Through this effort, vendors were identified that utilized
| Open Source technology to lower costs for their customers and an array
| of service offerings were created to facilitate migration to these
| solutions.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/304446_p.htm

Open source use expanding in mission critical apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Perceptions still dog open source, such as the lack of support
| services or security, but these attitudes in corporate IT are
| changing, according to Forrester.
`----

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=21981

Linux in Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux in healthcare is a tale of things seen and unseen. Linux/Open
| Source have enjoyed tremendous popularity in embedded systems and
| networks for major technologies used in healthcare that healthcare
| providers may not even be aware of.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/3215/

Miracle Cure? [to Properietary Software]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/123603?id=123603&story_pg=1