Re: Linux while you were sleeping Microsoft pulled the hardware rug out from under you!

____/ ajv on Wednesday 27 June 2007 12:24 : \____

> Linux while you were sleeping Microsoft pulled the hardware rug out from
> under you! don't believe me? read this and weep!
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
>
> "Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
>
> In order to prevent the creation of hardware emulators of protected
> output devices, Vista requires a Hardware Functionality Scan (HFS) that
> can be used to uniquely fingerprint a hardware device to ensure that
> it's (probably) genuine. In order to do this, the driver on the host PC
> performs an operation in the hardware (for example rendering 3D content
> in a graphics card) that produces a result that's unique to that device
> type.

Too bad Microsoft made Vista incompatible with so many things. They forget that
they have competition that is growing every day. Before they know it, they'll
have to beg people to actually use that Vista thing. Oh, wait! They already do
this in Australia.

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment