Re: Google Works with Mozilla to Bring More Applications, Extends Lead in Search

On Jun 26, 5:33 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Firefox 3 will be the first internet browser to offer offline web
> | application support when it launches at the end of this year.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-o...

I noticed this:

<Quote>
The Firefox effort is very similar to Google Gears, the search giant's
recently launched browser plug-in that allows web applications to be
used offline. And while the two companies are developing the
technology separately, they plan to join forces. "We're working on
trying to standardise the API set," says Mike Schroepfer, vice
president of engineering at the Mozilla Corporation.
</Quote>

Isn't it interesting how the FOSS world tries to create an API set
that works well with applications from different vendors, while
Microsoft uses its API to screw the competition?