Re: [News] [Linux] Another User Likes His New Dell Linux

____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 26 June 2007 13:37 : \____

http://devnulled.com/content/2007/06/dell-dimension-e520-with-ubuntu-linux-review/

> That's better, a review that wasn't writen ten milli seconds after install
> is much more usefull.
>
> The range of machines Dell are offering the US look like nice machines,
> desktops and laptops, with quite a wide range of configuration options.
>
> The OS support costs are good too. Probably a Linux user would go for either
> no support or the 30 days at $65, but those new to Linux $125 for a year is
> a reasonable price. I suspect that within a few weeks they have all found
> their way to the Ubuntu forums, so the Dell help will likely be less
> needed.
>
> I'm glad they included the Inspiron laptops in the range, I like those
> machines have bought some for my sales reps. Unfortunately with XP on them,
> but maybe by the time they need changing Ubuntu machines will be available
> in britland. Mind I have to say that both Suse and Redhat went very neatly
> onto these laptops, so if Ubuntu isn't your thing then choose the one that
> is.

It seems likely that they will cut down on undesired preinstalled software and
balance the cost of Windows and Linux, making Linux what it truly is -- Free
and free. I don't know if 'craplets' will only be removable in the States, but
in any event there are other things to look forward to. Dell is apparently
leaving its options open when it comes to expansion (Linux overseas). That's
where Linux demand is (Europe and Australia), isn't it?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Mem:    515500k total,   444240k used,    71260k free,     2364k buffers