Re: Roy, I have a question

Darth Chaos <DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy, my friend Kirsty in the UK runs a website, and she is looking
> into having it run from a Linux-based server. I recommended Ubuntu
> Server Edition followed by Fedora Core because I have no experience
> with the other OSes she mentioned (CentOS, Debian Stable, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, NetBSD), but I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu Server to
> recommend, Ubuntu Server Edition 6.06 LTS or Ubuntu Server Edition
> 7.04.

When rolling my own servers I tend to lean toward Debian Stable, though
I've also had good luck with RedHat enterprise servers when a corporate
support contract is desired.

That being said, I recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 Server on my
rackmount colo server, and it has been doing just fine.  I've
noticed a few minor bugs in the gnome desktop in 7.04 Feisty
Fawn, but as a headless server it seems just fine... no different
than any other Debian based server really.

Good Luck,

Thad