[News] [Linux] IBM: Linux on the Mainframe is Gaining Steam

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] IBM: Linux on the Mainframe is Gaining Steam
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:21:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM defends cost of buying and maintaining a mainframe

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM defended the mainframe as a box that doesn't take up much space and is an
| ideal consolidation platform, especially for Linux. By running virtualized
| Linux instances on top of z/VM, the mainframe's virtualization operating
| system, Stallings argued that a mainframe's TCO is better with as few as 100
| distributed servers.
|
| And, he said that Linux on the mainframe is gaining steam. About 25% of the
| MIPS IBM ships on the mainframe run Linux, he said.
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid80_gci1262166,00.html#21810215322399362412

Related:

Linux drives a mainframe revival

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux may not be everyone?s idea of a mainframe operating system,
| but for a growing number of large and medium-sized businesses
| the synergy between Linux and big iron is the solution to as
| ignificant problem.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/RSS/Articles/2006/11/16/219927/Linux+drives+a+mainframe+revival.htm
http://tinyurl.com/tdjgr

Mainframe in comeback mode

,----[ Quote ]
| We have over 1,300 independent software vendors who work with the
| Mainframe. We have 300 to 400 in the Linux arena. We have many
| business partners and some integrators too, that we work with.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2007/01/01/stories/2007010100110300.htm

IBM and Oracle Agreement Strengthens Mainframe Computing, IDC Says

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and Oracle announced this initiative to collaborate on the sales
| and marketing of a series of enterprise business solutions with
| Oracle applications and technology for Linux on System z on
| October 24, 2006. It targets the business requirements of large
| and medium size enterprise customers and meets growing marketd
| emand, complementing a series of investments IBM and Oracle have
| made in support of Linux as an enterprise application platform.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=207879

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

IBM touts mainframes to India