[News] [Linux] Novell Off the GPLv3 Hooks Only Because It Hurts Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] Novell Off the GPLv3 Hooks Only Because It Hurts Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:43:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Legal Wrangling In The World of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The final draft of GPLv3 says GPL distributors "who make discriminatory
| patent deals after March 28 may not convey software under GPLv3," according
| to a Free Software Foundation statement. The foundation also said
| that "Novell is not prohibited from distributing this software because the
| patent protection can be turned against Microsoft to the community's
| benefit."
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199904414

Microsoft hates GPLv3 with passion and some speculate it will take legal action
against the FSF, not Linux (which is protected now, thanks to the FSF).

Freeware’s end run

,----[ Quote ]
| “The main reason for this is tactical,” the foundation explained in
| releasing the final draft. “We believe we can do more to protect the
| community by allowing Novell to use software under GPL Version 3 than
| by forbidding it to do so.” However, the new version “will block
| Microsoft and other patent aggressors from further such attempts
| to subvert parts of our community."
`----

http://www.gcn.com/print/26_16/44553-1.html?topic=techreport

Related: