Re: [News] [Evil] More Evidence of Commerical Bias and Control in US Media

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Dow Jones submits plan for editorial independence: report
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The proposal calls for a Special Committee on Editorial and
>> | Journalistic Integrity and would limit News Corp.'s ability to
>> | control the Wall Street Journal brand.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070623/wr_nm/dowjones_newscorp_dc
>
> I'm not sure which scenario is worse; 'Dame Edna' Murdoch's pwning The
> Dow Jones, or Sweaty B.
>
> If Murdoch gets it (very likely), the WSJ might suddenly develop a
> decidedly anti-British stance (just look at Fox), and if Sweaty gets it
> (very unlikely, since they pulled out of negotiations), you can wave bye
> bye to all those glowing Apple reviews.

Presumably the folk at the FT are rubbing their hands, as they'll be the
only remaining daily financial newspaper which is vaguely independent,
published in english and available globally.

> Oh well. Fortunately I don't have to read any Murdoch-influenced drivel.
> For those rare occasions that I actually read about non-tech news, and
> those even rarer occasions when I read that news off dead trees, I have
> my local paper to serve those needs:
>
> http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk
>
> Researching their pedigree revealed a rather complex structure.
> Apparently the P&J is owned by Northcliffe Media Limited:
>
> http://www.thisisnorthcliffe.co.uk
>
> In turn, Northcliffe is owned by Daily Mail and General Trust Plc.:
>
> http://www.dmgt.co.uk
>
> Which (thankfully) is not pwned by 'Dame Edna' Murdoch.
>
>> Have a look at this cartoon:
>>
>> http://bp0.blogger.com/_pte2XO66Nwg/Rnydz2fDMQI/AAAAAAAAAw4/LHUmaiSIiKo/s1600-h/Funny_Windows_Vs_Linux.gif
>
> http://gobnf.org/i/jg/db040723.gif
>
> Also you should review these:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=outfoxed
>
> And the main Website:
>
> http://www.outfoxed.org

I still really like Fox's presentation of suicide bombers as "homicide
bombers".  It's a great way of putting a spin on things, but somehow
loses the whole point in the process.

Murdoch is far too powerful in the media here, with Sky, The Sun and The
Times all playing to his tune.  I don't watch Sky, read the Sun (which
would mean "look at the pictures") or read The Times, of course - far
too much political loading.

I do see Sky News on terrestrial digital and unencrypted on satellite,
and it seems reasonably good, but has been noticable for ignoring
certain stories which show Newscorp in a bad light - in particular the
one about the Newscorp journalist attempting to leave Iraq with a
suitcase full of Babylonian antiquities recently lifted from the Baghdad
museum.