Re: [News] [Linux] New Releases: AmaroK, Opera

> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 23 June 2007 16:01 : \____

>>> ____/ BearItAll on Friday 22 June 2007 14:47 : \____

>>> Many modern CMSs contain the notion (and support) of mobile device
>>> stylesheets. The body of the content is div'ed up accordingly. With so many
>>> PDAs out there, one ought to fight for the niche and capture the audience
>>> while it's there. The same used to apply to RSS feeds and blogs (before
>>> their number exploded).
>>>

>> Opera has the capability to merge frames, at least on the N770 version,
>> anyway, however, it remains a proprietary package.  I'm interested to
>> play with the minimo (baby Firefox) to see those chaps have resolved
>> these issues.
>>
>> Interesting to note that the original intention of html was to provide
>> only hints to the renderer, but Netscape through various non-standard
>> tags plus frames, and Microsoft through fonts, have tried very hard
>> indeed to kill that.
>
> WYSIWYG is nasty. What you see is not always what another will see, given that
> media varies tremendously.
>
> WYSIWYG is temptation. It's a shortcut with a cost. That's why I never ever use
> OpenOffice. TeX contains all the semantics. Professional and automated styling
> can handle the rest, including smart placment and linking. It makes you
> dumber. You needn't think about anything but content. Children should be
> taught to use text editors or LyX (at best).

It would be good to see kids being taught about what's underneath the
chrome.  By the way, I've installed minimo on one of my N770s, and I
really like it - very good.  Handles frames well, has a very very good
interface, arguably more pleasant to work with than the Opera one.
Doesn't seem to start realplayer properly for playing BBC streams,
though, so need opera for that.

Overall, I'd say minimo is very good and outperforms opera in usability,
but clearly is not without bugs.