Re: [Rival] Microsoft Gives Rewards to Fans (Buys Fanfare?)

On Jun 25, 12:34 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Zune tattoo guy gets Microsoft's attention
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The man so devoted to all things Zune that he got not one but two Zune
> | tattoos looks to have finally drawn the attention of Microsoft itself,
> | which has decided to fly its biggest fan out to Redmond and give him
> | the star treatment.
> `----
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/zune-tattoo-guy-gets-microsofts-at...
>
> This is very questionable because it means they can buy fans and lure people
> into grassroots using awards. Vista laptops, anyone?

This is peanuts.  You should see the perks Microsoft gives to top
executives who endorse Microsoft.  Many technicians who tout Microsoft
loudly enough even get new jobs, arranged by Microsoft.

Every company loves a satisfied customer.  Someone who is really
enthusiastic about the product or service is the best possible
spokesman.  One really satisfied customer, in front of a television
camera for 30 seconds, can sell a million items, or $100 million worth
of product.

> Related:
>
> Microsoft desperately wants my love -- and yours
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I spent December seventh, eighth, and ninth in Seattle as Microsoft's
> | guest. Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up
> | in a nice hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other
> | invitees to this "special conference" with presentations about the
> | marvels of Vista and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They
> | didn't quite play the old Beatles song "Love Me Do" in the background,
> | but it was the event's unstated theme.
> `----

I've spent a couple of days in Belleview as Microsoft's guest as well.
They were hoping that I would be wiling to join them.  It became
pretty obvious pretty quickly that I didn't have the "Microsoft
Religion".

> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/12/085222

My own experience of something like this was when I sent a thank you
letter to
Career Mosaic.  I had posted my resume and in 3 days I had 21 requests
for interviews,
and in 10 days I had 3 job offers - for high level positions.

They read the note, and the next thing I know I'm getting a photo and
full interview
in the New York Times.  Shortly after that, I've got an interview on
CNBC.

Over the following year, I did about 10 interviews.