[News] [FS] Sun Microsystems Donates Widgetry to Open Source Community

  • Subject: [News] [FS] Sun Microsystems Donates Widgetry to Open Source Community
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:05:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun Open Sources Storage Widgetry

| Sun says it plans to open source other technologies in the coming
| months including the StorageTek QFS shared file system, StorageTek
| Storage Archive Manager, and StorageTek 5800 client interfaces and
| simulator/server.
`----

http://dotnet.sys-con.com/read/361247_p.htm

It doesn't say which licence, but hopefully it's Free software with no
gotchas/strings attached.

Related (old and possibly out of date):

Sun likes what it sees in the new GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| And regarding Java, Schwartz said in an interview: "We did version 2
| with Java because version 3 wasn't out. When we have version 3, Java
| will likely go to 3."
|
| Sun is considering the GPLv3 because it wants to appeal to developers
| who favor the GPL. Another factor is a patent protection expected to
| feature in the new version of the license, Schwartz added.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6157761.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Sun to release OpenSolaris under GPL version 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is going to add the upcoming GNU General Public License version
| 3 (GPLv3) to OpenSolaris in addition to its current CDDL (Common
| Development and Distribution License).

Microsoft wants datacentres in portable cabins

,----[ Quote ]