Re: [News] [Rival] Pro-Windows Trolling Entails a Punishment

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 23 June 2007 18:57 : \____

>> BTW, two of my important sites were migrated to a stronger server
>> last night, but there were some glitches during the migration. This
>> was predictable.
>
> When I updated my Drupal install from v4.xx to v5.xx, I basically lost
> all my module customisations and settings, and it was such a pain to
> retrofit them that I decided it was easier to just wipe it and start
> from scratch (something I hate doing on principle).

My situation is better in that respect because I don't lose any data (not even
settings). Still, some daemons are not there or not running. My mail boxes get
flooded with the stuff that should be funnelled to other boxes and SPAM pours
in by the thousands (blame Windows botnets). This means that manual work is
needed (cleaning and filering is assisted by software, but it's still
time-sonsuming). PEAR, for example, is not installed, and it's just one
component among about 20 pieces of software that I have running with about 12
databases. I had a big TODO list (broken things) this morning and it has
shrunk to almost nothing by the evening. The 'Web stuff' is almost done and
finished with, so I moved on to E-mail. I'm just glad I didn't see this big
chore coming. I was planning to work on other things this weekend...

> More recently, BlueHost migrated my server to new hardware, but *that*
> transition was almost seamless (the total outage was about 10 minutes).
> I have to admit I was a bit concerned, since I'd only just recently
> experience those Drupal upgrade issues, but I needn't have worried.

It explains why my password no longer works in your site BTW...

> The effort was worth it (free upgrade), since I now have a ridiculous
> amount of bandwidth and storage (3TB/m and 300GB respectively).

Bloody hell. I feel like I'm being ripped off, but at least I get responsive
support. Actually, I get much of the stuff on a complimantary basis, but once
in a while I insist on paying. It's the joy of working with a small hoster
(sic). You even know the staff in person (well, virtually). BlueHost is
very 'meat market' hosting.

>> I might have to spend time on this during the weekend (at COLA's
>> expense, among other things). It's a case of bad luck. One week after
>> grafting a broken hard-drive's contents with a quarter of a million
>> files and all sort of dependencies and scripts I go through the same
>> nuisance on the server. At least they all run better at the end...
>
> I feel your pain.

I just had no choice. Things we can't change we must simply face. A lot of this
is educational anyway. Problem solving with open source software is like a fun
puzzle game. No restart-reboot-wipe belt-and-braces exercise...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie