Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Linux Coming Along Nicely, Support Not Even Needed

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Linux Coming Along Nicely, Support Not Even Needed
  • From: Rozzie <rozziewilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:07:17 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Ubuntu'd, you're getting a Dell

,----[ Quote ]
| The perfect high school graduation gift – a new computer. It'll be a God-send | for my daughter when her college starts up in the fall. But what to buy? | Seeing that I've been running Linux systems for over a decade, I really | wanted to introduce my daughter (a non-geek, I guess she didn't get the gene) | to Linux as well.

Wait until his daughter's laptop is completely different and incompatible with any programs, software and so forth that her college gives her. I see a copy of Windows XP in her future. My daughter is a pre-law student and she takes many computer based study programs that drill her on principles of law and so forth. These include custom viewing and navigating programs that will not run under Linux. She also had some program for her psychology class that was Windows only as well and in both instances as well as others, I tried to run them under Wine with no success. Some colleges support Linux but most do not and even when Linux *is* supported the support comes at a cost and this is mostly expecting the student to figure out how to make things work on their own other than the basics of connecting to the schools network and such for which Linux is fine. I would never saddle a college student with a Linux system unless he or she was a comp.sci major. College is difficult enough without having to be the round peg in a classroom where there is nothing but square holes.