[News] [Rival] Source Close to Microsoft Exposes Microsoft's Hypervisor Greed and Lies

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Source Close to Microsoft Exposes Microsoft's Hypervisor Greed and Lies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:37:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Is need for control behind Microsoft's flip-flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Gartner analyst Michael Silver took Microsoft to task
| for its continued restrictions.
|
| "Microsoft's policies...come off as a way to gouge customers," Silver
| said in an e-mail, noting that customers are forced to pay for higher
| priced editions, even though they don't get many of the benefits, like
|  the Aero user interface, which often won't work in a virtual machine.
|
| Silver argues that Microsoft is likely leaving money on the table.
| "Allowing use of lower priced (editions) could even be worth more
| money to Microsoft as it would likely increase the number of people
| that would legally run a Microsoft OS in a VM (like on a Mac),"
| Silver wrote. "Eventually they will have no choice but to make their
| peace with virtualization."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733433-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft said this was because of security. Well, they probably meant the
security of their revenue stream.

They lied. A decision was made by the board to publish nothing but a lie. There
we go again.

Related:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
| experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
| vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
| do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
| client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| company.
| ^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Microsoft insults our intelligence on Virtualization security

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has once again pulled out the security argument for its
| decision again and I must say that I find it rather insulting.  It’s
| not that I think Microsoft doesn’t have a right as a private business
| to set the terms of the EULA as they see fit, but don’t take us for f
| ools.  If they want to restrict Virtualization, just come out and
| say it and don’t make up ridiculous excuses for it.
|
| [...]
|
| Trying to stop a Hypervisor Rootkit with a EULA is like trying to
| stop Malware with a EULA.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=549

Bill Gates Likes To Lie About Vista