Re: Even Softies get the Vista installation blues

Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:

> So, let me get this straight. OK, you're a Microsod minion.
> Notwithstanding this, you have to buy(?) Vista at the Microsod
> company store.

Wot ... no discount? Sheesh.

> Then you start the install. But nope, you don't toss it in the
> garbage after it fails to install in one night. And nopwe again, you
> don't even ritually burn it after an installation procedure of
> *forty* *friggin'* *hours*. Instead, you try logging in, and go to
> work ... to find upon coming home again that it BSOD'ed (make that 50
> hours and counting).

Hey, 10 out of 10 for perseverance, but seriously - is this guy *nuts*?

> Even this isn't enough to make you quit your job with Microsoft and
> go Help the Homeless instead, nope - you try a BIOS upgrade. And lo
> and behold: total failure, with a machine that worked just fine
> before. Then you put in some more time, and claim warranty for
> screwing up BIOS upgrades and "funny disks" (whatever was the matter
> we'll never know) - *and it still doesn't work*!

Could it be that Vista is so EvIl that it crosses the mystical hardware
barrier and actually trashes the machine? That's just nasty.

> This must be a joke. I mean, from their product quality and security
> record we all know that the average Microsod programmer isn't exactly
> the brightest bulb in the chandelier. But this is ludicrous. No-one
> can be this stupid.

Apparently they can.

.----
| My Configuration:
|
| * Dell Optiplex 745 (4G RAM, Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4GHz)
| * ATI Radeon X1300 256M VRAM
| * WDC WD1600JS SATA drive (160G used for System)
| * Samsung SP2504C SATA (250G used for source code)

| Result:
|
| * Vista cannot install to Dynamic discs (which is the default
|   when you add a new drive to XP): switch them to Basic before
|   attempting a Vista install
| * Only update your BIOS if you have good warranty cover on the
|   motherboard, or are feeling lucky
| * Unplug memory card readers before installing
| * My particular hardware cannot install Vista, and no-one knows why
|                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

Well there you have it folks, straight from the horse's mouth at Redmond
... Vista sucks pickled eggs.

Of course we've known this since day one, but it's always nice to have
official confirmation.

Now ... am I allowed to suggest that Pennell requests a free Ubuntu CD
from Canonical?:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Or will a Yahoo moderator be along shortly to censor my post with a
cancel message, and have my SuperNews account "suspended" (translation:
permanently revoked)?

The suspense is killing me.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what
| is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases
| in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth
| knowing in case you have a choice between "X" and making more
| money, almost certainly "X" is what you should choose."
|   - Barry Schwartz
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 06:33:23 up 17 days, 18:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.65, 0.54