[News] [Evil] 'Buying' Politicians Against Microsoft, RIAA Continues 'Child Harassment' and Loses

  • Subject: [News] [Evil] 'Buying' Politicians Against Microsoft, RIAA Continues 'Child Harassment' and Loses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:21:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Learning From Microsoft's Error, Google Builds a Lobbying Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to lobbying, Google does not intend to repeat the mistake
| that its rival Microsoft made a decade ago.
|
| Microsoft was so disdainful of the federal government back then that it
| had almost no presence in Washington. Largely because of that neglect,
| the company was blindsided by a government antitrust lawsuit that cost
| it dearly.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/19/AR2007061902058.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Should they not just /fix/ the overly corrupt system instead of
repeating/mimcking someone else's sin to get even?

Judge deals blow to RIAA, says students can respond to John Doe lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a significant blow to the RIAA. If other courts decide to follow
| Judge Garcia's lead, the litigation process will become a lot more expensive
| and time-consuming for the RIAA, as the John Doe lawsuits would no longer be
| simple open-and-shut cases. Those suspected of file-sharing would be able to
| ensure that their interests are taken into consideration from the beginning
| of the legal process instead of only learning that they were the target of a
| lawsuit once they receive a settlement letter.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070620-judge-deals-blow-to-riaa-says-students-can-respond-to-john-doe-lawsuit.html

Yesterday:

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

Related:

Google gets into politics

,----[ Quote ]
| As Google gets bigger and the pots of cash grow, so the firm needs
| to increase its political influence. As it buys up companies from
| around the world and integrates them into its machine, its activities
| are bound to attract the close eye of Washington, and a public
| policy department is sure to serve as a focus for 'interaction'
| between Google and the government.

Google to recruit a bevy of Europeans lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87158/from/rss09