Re: [News] Fedora vs. Ubuntu (Benchmark) and UNIX vs. Windows

__/ [ yttrx ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 12:17 \__

>> __/ [ yttrx ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 05:32 \__

>>> What a stupid fucking comparison.  The performance differential
>>> between the linuces they tested are well within absolutely standard
>>> error allowance---which means that they mean exactly nothing at all.
>>>
>>> In layman's terms---they tested the same operating system four
>>> times.  Real brainiacs there.
>>
>> Yes. See my comment here:
>>
>> http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Fedora_v_Ubuntu_A_Performance_Look
>>
>> This isn't the first benchmark of his which I criticise. I advised him to
>> do a Solaris versus Linux comparison. He received the Solaris developers
>> kit a couple of days ago, so it should be interesting.
>>

> Though that would be interesting, it's pretty well established that while
> solaris is *generally* more robust and stable than most linux
> distributions, it is also substantially slower.

JVM, Looking Glass... I heard that it takes a beast to just run Looking Glass
smoothly under Linux (they have Ubuntu binaries). But it's a wealthy company
with customers who are willing to pay more than they need to (e.g. with
Linux). I guess your NY employer is one of those top-tier outfits with
cuff-linked exec who think that more expensive necessarily mean better. And
good supports equates to a shiny bruchure that smells nice...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
  1:20pm  up 44 days 13:38,  7 users,  load average: 1.29, 1.32, 1.26