Re: [News] IBM Talks About Australia and How It Should Learn from Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 08:42 \__

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Aussie_business_can_learn_from_Linux_IBM_chief/0,339028227,339274089,00.htm

>> What ever happened to Microsoft's plan to produce computer chips? Emerging
>> markets? The next XBox/Origami/Zune/Live? The company seeks new identity,
>> without success.
>
> I'm sure they'll come up with something in the end, although I can see
> them burning a /lot/ of cash in the intervening period.

None of this guarantees profits. I can't think of any /new/ business of
theirs which is profitable. Meanwhile, the cash cow which accounts for 60%
of the profits (in the Division?) is under great threat due to ODF. As for
Windows, well... it's a free teaser/sample for office addiction/lockin...
and Vista won't sell much any time soon (or before SPs). I'm not sure about
servers, but they probably make money on these... good money even... mobile
Windows is very slow in terms of adoptions and people accept/prefer cheaper
and more stable platforms.

Looking back at all the top executives who left you realise that all of the
above is very well understood by the seniors... I can't recall if the head
of Office had a shuffle as well... off the top of my head... Allchin left,
the Office manager took over Windows... he later left (maybe he was the guy
who decided to leave early) and now it's the security guy Ben Fathi who
heads the project.... already making statements which Microsoft regrets and
retracts (the promise of Vienna in 2009... happiness w.r.t. the number of
bugs in Vista... security of Vista)... okay, and then you have the head of
Zune (jumped ship), head of Live (jumped ship), head of Microsoft Germany
(no exceptions), some seniors in the XBox team... maybe even the
entertainment biz... sometimes I wonder who is left... even Gates is
leaving... probably to allow his to flirt more with politicians... making
the laws a green lawn for Microsoft's operations.... abroad as well... DRM,
patent laws, contracts with his best friend Tony Blair, who evidently
doesn't give a toss about Becta's actions... or the BBC...

Anyway, that was just a quick minddump. Think of it as IM.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
roy      pts/5                         Tue Mar  6 23:30 - 23:33  (00:03)