Re: [News] Academics Call Disruptive Technology "Intellectual Fast Food"

> Wikipedia, Academia Have a Love-Hate Relationship
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| University of Virginia English professor John Sullivan, who also
>| teaches courses in mass media and American culture, is skeptical
>| of Wikipedia. Sullivan compared the encyclopedia to the underlined
>| and highlighted sections of library books that students may flip to
>| instead of reading the entire book. "Are we living in a world
>| where we have intellectual fast food?" he asked.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/56096.html
>
> Conservapedia: Far Righter Than Wikipedia

The conservapaedia evangelist chap was interviewed on the Today programme
yesterday morning - I was listening whilst making my way to a meeting.
He was complaining that wiki is not "pro American" enough, and moreover,
that it was not "christian" enough.  As far as I could tell, his real
problem was that he wanted the intelligent design religious teaching
to be pushed as scientific thinking, but he was handwaving around a
few other things.  He was also complaining that there weren't enough
American spellings (or too many standard ones), and went on to claim
(free of evidence, as far as I could tell), that most Wikipedia users
were US citizens.

I used to think that the internet was bringing US culture to the world,
but I've realised over the last few years that actually, the opposite is
happening.  US citizens are being exposed, in most cases for the very
first time, to other cultures.  I can see this not sitting too well
with the conservative right in the US, as they will see themselves as
losing control over influence and thinking - they will not like this on
iota, I suspect.