[News] NVIDIA Releases New Drievrs for Linux, Progress Made on Open Source 3-D Drivers (Nouveau)

NVIDIA Linux - 1.0-9755 for Linux x86/x86-64 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Release Highlights:
|
|     * Added support for Quadro FX 4600 and Quadro FX 5600
|     * Added initial support for NVIDIA SLI with GeForce 8800,
|       Quadro FX 4600, and Quadro FX 5600
`----

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87714

Nouveau : Open Source 3D acceleration for nVidia cards
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
http://users.tkk.fi/~jpakkane/ren/

Related:

That post about the pledge I've been meaning to do (NVidia drivers)

,----[ Quote ]
| Say on the day this was announced, the Ubuntu foundation issued a
| statement something along the lines of this: "In the interst of
| showing Ubuntus foundation in and support of open drivers, we will to
| give the first person or team who can present a well design, legally
| clean implemented/reverse engineered, open source driver for the
| nvidia card series that can start up the GNOME desktop with DRI
| enabled on at least on machine within the feature freeze for Feisty+1,
| the sum of 10.000$." Maybe then I wouldn?t have been inspired to
| take this journey?
`----

http://lovesunix.net/blog/?p=153

Kernel Space: State of the Nouveau project

,----[ Quote ]
| While NVidia refuses to release programming information for
| its video chipsets, one ambitious project is reverse
| engineering the hardware to develop open source support.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012407-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

First Open Graphics board appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This project is on the basis that a GPU should not end up with
| tons of propriatary software or hardware, containing hidden
| problems that aren't mentioned to the press, and yet cause
| nervous breakdowns for developers worldwide.

Interview: Timothy Miller, Open Graphics Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The OGP grew rapidly after I first started it, and it's continued to
| grow gradually since then. Now, we have Traversal Technology and also
| the Open Hardware Foundation that's dedicated to the non-profit,
| community, and democratic aspects of the project. Our mailing list has
| over 500 members, including well-known Linux kernel hackers, 3D graphics
| experts, college professors, representatives of many other open
| source projects, hardware designers, and people who want to become
| hardware designers.
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/130/ruecker.html

XGI Technology Drivers Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been one year to the day since XGI Technology had last released
| a Volari Linux display driver and about 14 months since we had
| first delivered word of XGI considering open-source 3D display drivers.
| Where do things now stand for XGI Technology? We will tell you all
| of the details today where things are for this Taiwan graphics company.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=619&num=1

Nouveau: A First Look

,----[ Quote ]