Re: Novell Licks the Microsoft Boot

__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Tuesday 06 March 2007 17:54 \__

> On Mar 5, 11:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Novell makes ODF-OOXML translator available
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Novell has released for download an Open XML translator that allows
>> | users to open and save Microsoft Office Open XML-formatted
>> | word-processing documents in OpenOffice.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=298
>>

> So, it seems that M$ almighty has allowed its servant Novell to enable
> *Linux* users to open *.doc (and presumable *.xls and PowerPoint
> later) documents.
>
> If that is all there is to it, I am not surprised or impressed.
>
> The big question is: will there be a translator that runs on Windows?
> Will M$ allow it? That translator could remove the last barrier to
> migrating from MS Office to OO on Windows, and it would be bad news
> for Office.
>
> -Ramon

There are (at least) two translators for MSO which enable you to save files
as ODF (and its 'family' of formats). I do not know, however, how lossy the
transition is. It is certainly not a 'round trip' translator, but it's
something. Sun helps a lot in that respect and its work on this should be
admired, although it could encourage use of Office. It's a peculiar
situation. to make OOo attractive, Office needs to be able to support ODF.
But if Office supports ODF, then why migrate to OpenOffice? They'll find
balance, I'm sure.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
roy      pts/5                         Tue Mar  6 23:30 - 23:33  (00:03)