Re: Question for the group

  • Subject: Re: Question for the group
  • From: flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:33:34 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:09:31 -0700, Geico Caveman
<spammers-go-here@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am thinking of trying my hand at writing. Have a few things I can
>authoritatively write about, but was looking at Linux as possibly the
>easiest of them as far as time invested goes.
>
>So, here is the question (serious responses only - especially from the
>people intelligently critical of Linux and its perceived weaknesses, no
>trolls please) :
>
>What do you think I should write about ? The most pressing missing point as
>far as documentation goes ? Style, etc. ?
>
>I know that the web is an extremely rich source of useful and free
>information about Linux but your average newbie who most needs Linux is not
>the technical site surfing, newsgroup savvy kind. He / she needs a desk
>reference.
>
>Money is secondary in this as I will price it low (given the kind of
>competition in this market segment). I just want to write a book that will
>make a difference.
>
>Assuming I include a section about setting up Linux (I will focus on a
>non-Novell linked distro), how does one take screenshots of setup screens
>(I mean one can take photographs, but that would be amateurish) ? Should I
>setup a qemu image to play with setups this way and use ksnapshot on the
>host ? Something more elegant ?
>
>You are welcome to address other issues I might not have thought of
>regarding this business.
>
>Thanks,
>
>GC

Anyone wrtiting anything should have a copy of "The Elements Of
Style," by Strunk and White, stapled to their forehead 24 hour per
day. (Or at least have the little volume in your pocket).

Style? Watch Roy Schestowitz for a while. He's razing the ether with
Linux news and is great at grouping related items.

Good luck finding Linux weaknesses -- they seem to be dissipating like
ice in hell. Also, this is Linux Advocacy.

The other stuff, graphics, etc, -- no idea. (There's a great pointer
-- know what you don't know).