Re: [News] Windows Activation Repeatedly Broken by Crackers

__/ [ flyer ] on Monday 05 March 2007 07:23 \__

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 03:39:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft fixes the "TimerStop" activation hack.
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| But have no worries, my friend, the hackers of the world have been
>>| busy! Just like the AACS protection scheme that is used to protect
>>| the Blu-Ray HD-DVD content, it appears that the Vista Activation
>>| system has been completely, permanantly and irreversably
>>| circumvented as well, this time by means of sheer brute force.
>>`----
>>
>>http://appiant.typepad.com/security_today/2007/03/microsoft_fixes.html
>>

>>Related:
>>
>>Vista cracked by Paradox 2007
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| Bypassing the product activation requirement of Microsoft Windows Vista
>>| x86.
>>`----
>>
>>http://www.uploadcrap.com/?subaction=showcomments&id=1172962283&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&;
>>

>>Another Vista crack... but this time a good one
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| This crack activates windows by activating windows offline. It
>>| activates Windows with a OEM key, which is very difficult to be
>>| blocked by microsoft.
>>|
>>| The cracking process is rather very simple and less complicated
>>| like some other cracks which replaced BIOS, and people ended up
>>| their motherboards roasted rather than activating windows.
>>`----
>>
>>http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/03/03/another-vista-crackbut-this-time-a-good-one/
>
> Wait a minute, bilious Bill said that security was a prime target of
> the years of recent developement work. I guess he lied...I mean made a
> mistake.
>
> More hot wind from Redmond.

One word: vapourware.

Imaginary Innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
| alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
| haven't come to fruition at all.
|
| Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
| service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
| while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
| seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
| potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vaporware-ces-gadgets-tech-media-cx_rr_0105vaporware.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

Vaporware '06: Return of the King

,----[ Quote ]
| 8. The "IPod Killer"
|
| Every time we hear about a new portable audio device, it's touted
| as the magic bullet that will end the iPod's reign once and for
| all.
|
| Oh, you mean that thing? The one with the ugly design and clunky
| user interface? Does it at least work with iTunes?
|
| Microsoft's Zune was supposed to do the trick, but it's sitting
| on the shelves (even the SanDisk Sansa is selling better than Zune)w
| hile the kids are all enjoying their freshly unwrapped, shiny new
| iPods.
|
| Note to everyone: It's a White Wire World. Get over it.
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72350-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Microsoft Murders Max

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's official at any rate. Contrary to what you've heard, Windows
| Vista will not be shipping with any of the original technologies,
| features, capabilities, or subsystems originally promised (and for
| those of you that really couldn't tell: it's called sarcasm!). First
| it was the real Aero - complete visual control over one's system.
| Amazing graphics, sidebars that were a part of the Windows Core,
| Aero Diamond. Then it was NGSCB and its amazing security features
| - not DRM, but total privacy control; your privacy. Monad. Last
| we heard, it was WinFS, the king-pin feature that was promised
| to change the way you think of data... And now the last one is
| gone: Microsoft Max is dead.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/277

Microsoft exec "guarantees" graphical superiority for 360 titles

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of a "guarantee" of better-looking titles is substantially
| silly, however. Graphics quality is often subjective, and without a
| clear horsepower advantage of one system over the other, it will be
| difficult if not impossible to claim that titles on one system look better
| than those on another.

| From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
| To: billg; bradsi;
| Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
| Date: Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
|
| [...]
|
| The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
| OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
| announcement ..

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0411_A.pdf

And then there's FUD:

The Fear biz is the computer security biz

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/11/computer_security_fearmongering/

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011107/PX_0860.pdf

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0425.pdf

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"