Re: [News] Calculating the 'Vista Tax', Dell PCs Might As Well Go Red Hat Linux

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Sunday 04 March 2007 18:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Cost of Windows tax calculated
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If you set the hardware all the same, you will come up with a Redhat
>> | version for $1952, and XP or Vista will set you back $2011. This sets
>> | the Vole tax at $59 over Red Hat, but unless Red Hat is willing to
>> | talk Dell contracts, we can't be sure how much a Windows licence
>> | really costs.
>
> That's interesting, but you know, in my opinion Linux is worth *more* than
> Vista.
>
> That is, if you offered the consumer a choice between a tired, worn out
> buggy OS such as Vista and a real desktop OS, fully loaded with
> applications, virus free, stable, fast, and so on...they might even be
> willing to pay /more/ for the Linux system.
>
> Again, Dell is shooting itself in the foot by not preinstalling linux.

No doubt. Maybe it think it's doing its "patriotic duty". Maybe personal
relationships (yes, they are friends) come before business.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S