[News] Microsoft Windows is a Spy's Wet Dream

Some guy sued Microsoft a few days ago because their software did not honour
his privacy.

Microsoft's Really Hidden Files

,----[ Quote ]
| I know there are some people out there that are already aware of some
| of the things I mention. I also know that most people are not. The
| purpose of this tutorial is teach people what is really going on
| with Microsoft's products and how to take control of their
| privacy again.
`----

http://fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

Related:

Free anonymising browser debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Web users worried about privacy can now use a modified version of
| Firefox that lets them browse the net anonymously.

Is My Boss Reading My Personal E-mail?

,----[ Summary ]
| Your employer can monitor all electronic communication
| to and from work equipment, especially when it's sent
| over the corporate network
`----

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061025_457356.htm

Groups call for investigation of Microsoft ad service

,----[ Quote ]
| Two consumer advocacy groups have filed a complaint with the U.S.
| Federal Trade Commission (FTC), saying Microsoft Corp. and other
| Web-based companies are using "unfair and deceptive" business
| practices to collect data about their customers.
|
| [...]
|
| But CDD and US PIRG said Microsoft's tracking of Web user habits
| goes too far. "Microsoft has embarked on a wide-ranging data
| collection and targeting scheme that is deceptive and unfair to
| millions of users," the groups said in their complaint to the FTC.
`----

http://security.itworld.com/5009/061101msad/page_1.html

Windows Live and Privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| It appeared to be an SUV, bristling with cameras mounted on the roof,
| and pointing just about every possible direction. The first time we saw it,
| all we could see was that it had a sign on the side, something about
| Windows...
|
| ...I'm not sure I want my neighborhood viewable on the Web from
| ground level. And are they going to edit all the people out?
| I don't see how they could.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/03/2229249

IBM donates new privacy tool to open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has developed software designed to let people keep personal
| information secret when doing business online and donated it to
| the Higgins open-source project.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6153625.html

Can FOSS save your privacy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, the Bush regime has already claimed "we don't need no steenkin
| warrant" to listen to your phone calls, see what websites you visit,
| scan your emails, and now, with the revelation of a new
| "signing statement", it?s even claiming the authority to read your
| physical mail. When the government becomes the biggest threat to
| your privacy, you better take advantage of the legion of privacy
| advocates creating FOSS to help you retain what little bit of privacy
| you can still have.
|
| [...]
|
| However, just because your privacy is being threatened doesn't mean
| you have to accept it. There is a growing array of FOSS being
| developed to provide us with the ability to control our privacy.
| It's about time we all start using it.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/can_foss_save_your_privacy

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
| special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
| have been secretly built into Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
| ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
| few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
| system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has shown that special access
| codes for use by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) have been secretly
| built into all versions of the Windows operating system.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990903S0014

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/