Re: Vista activation cracked by brute force

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 15:15 \__

> On Friday 02 March 2007 16:51 B Gruff wrote:
>
>> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
>> Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:50:04 +0000
>>
>> No, I don't condone it.
>> Nevertheless, it's interesting, is it not?
>> How *can* somebody like MS make something like this impossible to crack?
>>
>> - and what are the consequences of them not doing so?  The author
>> postulates that by the time a Vista-buyer gets his Vista home, the key
>> could already be in use, in which case the buyer is seen as the "pirate"!
>>
>> --------------------------
>> IT LOOKS LIKE Microsoft's unhackable OS activation malware has been
>> hacked.
>>
>> There is an active thread at the Keznews forums (account needed), and a
>> summary on its main page about the crack.
>>
>> It is a simple brute force attack, dumb as a rock that just tries keys. If
>> it gets one, you manually have to check it and try activation. Is is ugly,
>> takes hours, is far from point and click, but it is said to work. I don't
>> have any Vista installs because of the anti-user licensing so I have not
>> tested it personally.
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37941
>
> - and it looks like this was a hoax:-)

But we already knew Vista was a hoax. :-)

> I posted in good faith, of course, but here is the follow-up:-
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/03/1339209&from=rss

Yes, seen this as well. But there are other ways (not brute force) of
cr4cking or pirating Vista. This one would just be comical, if true.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Cpu(s):  21.7% user,   2.8% system,   0.9% nice,  74.7% idle