Re: "then Microsoft Office is toast" (tail end of article) (re Google Apps)

  • Subject: Re: "then Microsoft Office is toast" (tail end of article) (re Google Apps)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:29:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ flyer ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 08:03 \__

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:04:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ flyer ] on Thursday 01 March 2007 05:47 \__

>>> At least it's in MS's face. But I don't think I would ever trust it
>>> for my work.
>>
>>Why not? This seems to be a perception that suffers fro myths. Would you
>>not trust LaTeX, which is said to be bug-free?
>
> For sensitive docs, would you trust it? How would you verify security?

Simple. No macros. No binary components and it's all human reedable.

> To date, anything I send via web I assume someone will be, or could
> be, reading, excluding PGP'd email.

Even PGP has come under scrutiny. Apparently, the No Such Agency (or maybe it
was the FBI) felt unhappy with Zimmerman's too-powerful-to-snoop utility, so
while it's intruders-proof (e.g. Wi-fi-jacking), there might be back doors
which were added later. One needs to look at the code carefully. When it
comes to SELinux, it appears as though the NSA makes use of some obscure
assembly code, which isn't source code per se. FWIW, there are almost
certainly back door in Windows, which allow full control (not just to the
NSA, but to criminals as well, unfortunately).

> But then there is ALOT I don't know about secure transmission.

No such thing. Not just logically speaking (each key has its limits, which
can be met by supercomputer). The matter of fact is that software is being
designed to be penetrable. The authorities want it. I'm throwing in some
references because it's easy (and people deserve to know).

___
Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
| special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
| have been secretly built into Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
| ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
| few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
| system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| Congress is about to consider an entertainment industry proposal
| that would authorize copyright holders to disable PCs used for
| illicit file trading.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html

NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990903S0014

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  8:20am  up 39 days  8:38,  6 users,  load average: 1.43, 0.90, 0.77