Re: First "Commercial" Quantum Computer Solves Sudoku Puzzles

  • Subject: Re: First "Commercial" Quantum Computer Solves Sudoku Puzzles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 04:54:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ yttrx ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 04:27 \__

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=BD4EFAA8-E7F2-99DF-372B272D3E271363&pageNumber=1&catID=1

>>> A Canadian firm today unveiled what it called "the world's first
>>> commercially viable quantum computer." D-Wave Systems, Inc., "The
>>> Quantum Computing Company," during a much ballyhooed rollout at the
>>> Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif., hailed the new
>>> device as a big step toward the age of quantum computing, decades
>>> earlier than scheduled.
>>
>> And it solved Sudoku? A first year CS project. Wow.
>
> It's actually pretty impressive, if it's actually a "quantum logic"
> processor.
>
> There's some question about its eventual computing power, but in
> layman's terms, think of it along the lines of a regular processor's
> logic (boolean, implemented by logic gates which themselves are
> comprised, one way or another, of circuits that can be said to be
> in one of two states, 1 or 0) being computationally equivalent to
> an abacus (each bead having two possible states)...while a quantum
> processor's logic introduces at least one more possible state,
> submerging it in weird ideas like entanglement and superposition.
>
> In a quantum processor, the contents of its registers (or qubit
> registers) are an 8 dimensional complex vector.  Because of this,
> (again, layman's terms--this isn't *exactly* true), it's possible
> to pack a lot more processing potency into a single processing
> cycle.  This in turn makes certain types of processing that take
> an exceedingly long time now (protein folding, cryptanalysis)
> possible in a very, very short period of time, using a small
> fraction of the energy and physical space of common boolean type
> processors.
>
> Is solving a soduku puzzle amazing?  No.  But if it's the case
> that it's been solved with a qbit-based processor, that's a
> very, very big deal.  We may be seeing the future of all computing
> on this one, in very much the same way the people who sung the
> praises of the transistor did, when it was first seen to be a
> viable replacement for vacuum tubes in 1947.
>
> So nay say all you like, but do keep up with it.  Some pretty
> important things are on the horizon.

Hadron already knows all of this. His headers once indicated that he works
for CERN. Of course, he was lying, which is something that happens to
address Jamie Hart's recent argument with him.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
roy      pts/4                         Sat Mar  3 04:20 - 04:26  (00:06)