Re: Falling into the Vista trap

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 02:25 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, yttrx belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Roy, does it really matter to you how much hardware linux runs on?  Do you
>> really have a MIPS machine lying around to play with?  Or an UltraSPARC?
>> Or an RS/6000 machine?
>>
>> Face it, the only thing thats important to you is that Linux runs on x86,
>> so stop pretending.
>
> However, the fact that it builds and runs on a large number of platforms
> indicates that the code has been read and reread many times.
>
> Heck, just getting code to compile on both gcc and Visual Studio
> uncovers a fair number of mistakes (at least in my code!)

That's a nice perspective that never crossed my mind. But what I was going to
say (I was in a hurry so I didn't) is that you can start small and grow
larger without code rewrites. You can use inherent scalability and
cross-platform portability of Linux to move your -- let us say -- DNA
sequencing program from a laptop to a 10,000 node supercomputer.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  3:20am  up 39 days  3:38,  7 users,  load average: 1.07, 0.63, 0.52