[News] Microsoft-friendly Analyst (IDC) Predicts Nintendo Will Beat Microsoft

Tussle ahead, but Wii will come out on top says IDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Market analysts International Data Corporation (IDC) have come out with
| their take on the gaming console market.  Will the Microsoft Xbox 360,
| Sony PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii claim the dominance that the PS2
| has enjoyed for five years?

I have collected some links to show you that IDC is just following orders of
wealthy companies (notably Microsoft) and delivers biased results, which are
often incomplete, _by design_.

IDC - general background...

IDC Study:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Vista filip for US states, claims IDC

,----[ Quote ]
| While reviewers debate the merits of Windows Vista and analysts puzzle the
| over the pace of adoption, IDC and Microsoft are in little doubt over its
| impact for the economies of America's 50 states.
|
| To date, IDC has estimated Windows Vista will create 37,000 new jobs and
| generate $15.5bn in related products and services across just four US
| states.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/microsoft_windows_vista_idc/

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy (in
Microsoft-commissioned study)

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

IDC report on Open Document Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This study is a fact-based analysis of the emerging open document
| standards, Open XML and ODF.
`----

http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2006/11/27/IDC_Open_Document_Standards.aspx

Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
| first year of shipment.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

Okay... here's a note of interest... but using NPD, which is another analyst
Pwned by Microsoft (Gartner has links too). As far as I know, all the above
links refer to IDC 'studies'.

Vista: better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| But wait! The NPD Group? Isn't it that market research firm which
| spotted the opportunities offered by the corporate movie and music
| companies from afar and almost overnight became an expert on p2p
| file sharing with, "highly questionable statistics blatantly
| slanted towards the entertainment cartels?"
`----

http://p2pnet.net/story/10999

Early Vista Sales Don't Tell the Whole Story

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/early_vista_sales_dont_tell_the_whole_story.html