Re: [News] Industrial Gateway Comes Preloaded with Linux, Uses Just 2 Watts

__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 02 March 2007 10:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a
> moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> Tiny 2-Watt Linux system packs a light-weight Java runtime environment
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Gateway Express is based on the company's SA2410 Medallion CPU
>> | module, draws under two watts, and is available with IBM WebSphere
>> | development tools.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6858563145.html
>>
>> 2 watts. How about that Debian which boots in just 1.6 seconds (embedded)?
> Or
>> a Linux PC the size of a matchbox...?
>
> I'm more interested in the webserver the size of a match head...

With wi-fi? I am aware of some servers the size of a PDA... instead of having
a beeper to notify you about downtime, or a handheld to remotely log in and
fix issues, you can actually speak to the [match head?] whenever it gets
fried. Servers as we know them will probably change in form. Even hard-drive
are replaced by flash-based storage that's getting smaller and smaller (also
more energy-efficient).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
 12:05pm  up 38 days 12:23,  7 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.57, 0.54