Re: [News] Windows Vista Falls Out of Amazon's 25 Best Sellers

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 01 March 2007 07:29 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that John Bailo spake thusly:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Windows Vista: Not Exactly Selling Like Hotcakes at Amazon
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070228/28266_id.html?.v=1
>>>

>> Quote:
>>
>> "That means Vista is being outsold on Amazon.com right now by such
>> blockbuster software products as Roxio Toast 8 Titanium (CD and DVD
>> burning software), Quicken Willmaker Plus 2007, Dragon Naturally
>> Speaking 9, six different versions of TurboTax and - ye gads - Rosetta
>> Stone Spanish, language instruction"
>
> Hasta la Vista, baby.

The Zune was treated similarly in Amazon. While Ballmer blames the pirates,
WGA indicated that there's /more/ /lenience/ towards them, downloads of
Vista don't work quite as expected, and people who go out and buy Vista (or
vista-loaded PCs) often give up and wind up installing Windows XP or Linux.

Let me just get the refs...

"Mommy, it's broken." 2 weeks with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| After 5 years of development, Vista still isn't ready for prime time.
| It's like taking a car without an engine and putting a new coat of
| paint on it. Sure it looks pretty, but it still doesn't work. I would
| wait at least 6 months if not a year to invest in Vista. In fact I
| personally will be putting XP on my laptop because Vista crashes too
| much for me to use everyday.
|
| This review doesn't take into account the DRM and anti-piracy
| issues that have been brought up by Vista. Without taking those
| into account I still wouldn't buy Vista.
`----

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/blogs/Journal_Science.php?id=2208

Vista Download Disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| I ran into Jim early one morning after he had installed Windows Vista
| Home Premium. He wasn't smiling, and the tale he told me made the
| hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It left me worried and
| wondering about how many other Vista download customers are
| currently thisclose to smashing their PCs with the nearest
| heavy object.

Ballmer delivers sobering message at Microsoft event

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer tempered the
| expectations of analysts at an event Thursday, telling them
| their predictions for sales of the company's new operating
| system are too high, while those for its operating expenses
| may be too low.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ballmer-delivers-sobering-message-microsoft/story.aspx?guid=%7BCFADFB4D%2D7D86%2D4A0A%2DA233%2D1D18F48F82F7%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2juebs

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Windows Genuine Advantage's newest setting: "you might be a pirate"

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool is
| "optional," Microsoft is in the process of pushing out the tool
| as a "critical" and thus automatic update (affectionately dubbed
| WGA Notifications 1.7 KB905474). The update has been known about
| for over a month, but users are just now seeing it show up as a
| critical update to Windows XP.

Zune misses top-10 list of holiday devices sold

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Zune player was not among the top-10 list of
| digital audio devices sold over the winter holidays in the U.S.,
| with Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod remaining champion of that market,
| according to research analyst firm Current Analysis Inc.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Tech/5051/070105zune/index.html

I hope it's obvious which parts of the text these refer to, even without
citation links/references.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk